Greetings, My Fellow Human Beings! ChatGPT 4.0 and I have worked together for quite a while composing this letter about the need for AI regulation. For information about why AI regulation is needed, please read my Psychology Today post on this topic. Your voice is a powerful tool, and it’s never been more vital. Please review the letter below, personalize it or copy it as is, and then scroll down for step-by-step instructions and key contact details. Investing a mere 10-15 minutes of your time could help shape our collective future, ensuring we reap AIs’ benefits while protecting our future.
But don’t stop there – let’s amplify this message together. Share this page with your friends, family, colleagues, and network. Encourage them to join this essential cause. Post it on social media, tweet it, Instagram it – every share counts. This is more than just a letter; it’s a call to action. We have the power to influence AIs’ path. It’s time to be heard, and together, we can make a difference. Let’s act now!
Blog/Letter to Encourage Skillful International AI Regulation:
Subject: Citizen’s Urgent Appeal for Skillful International AI Regulation
Artificial Intelligence (AI), unlike any technology in our history, holds the power to revolutionize our world, yet it also poses significant potential threats. As AIs’ reach expands and its capabilities increase, it opens doors for unprecedented opportunities and, unfortunately, unprecedented risks, including existential ones.
As a concerned global citizen, I urge you to prioritize the development of comprehensive, international AI regulation. This isn’t about stifling innovation, but rather about ensuring the safe and responsible evolution of this transformative technology. AI warrants a unique level of governance, one that is discerning, proactive, and international in scope.
Effective AI regulation should promote accountability, transparency, and the safeguarding of human rights. It must act to prevent misuse, mitigate unintended consequences, and ensure AI development and deployment align with the broad interest of humanity. This includes the establishment of safeguards against “bad actors” who may seek to misuse this technology, leading to potentially catastrophic outcomes.
With the rapid pace of AI development, the window for effective action is narrowing. We are venturing into uncharted territory, and unlike many areas of policy, we may not get a second chance to correct our course.
I implore you, as our representative, to take decisive action. Your leadership can play a pivotal role in guiding the trajectory of AI, ensuring that its profound potential benefits humanity, and does not lead to our detriment.
Thank you for your attention to this pressing issue. I, along with the rest of humanity, eagerly await your thoughtful response and decisive action. We are counting on you and trust that you will take the necessary actions to safeguard our future.
Instructions to Send the Letter About the Need for AI Regulation:
- Copy the above letter.
- Click on the following links to open a new email window for each of the following governing bodies/organizations. For some, this will be a link to complete an online form.
- Paste the letter and include your name at the bottom of the email or within the contact form.
- Send the email or submit the contact form.
Here are the email addresses and web forms for the organizations/governing bodies:
- The White House: You can contact the White House by filling out their web form at: https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/
- Federal Communication Commission (FCC): You can contact the FCC by email at: email@example.com
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): You can contact the FTC by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST): email@example.com
- Your U.S. Senator: https://www.senate.gov/senators/senators-contact.htm
- Congressional Representatives: You can find your representative’s email address by entering your ZIP code on the following website: https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative
- United Nations: You can contact the United Nations by filling out their web form at: Contact Us | United Nations
- European Union: You can reach the European Union through their online contact form: https://european-union.europa.eu/contact-eu/write-us_en
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations: Address AI concerns to Dr. Hong Hin Lim at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: I will be adding to this list as I identify relevant governing bodies/agencies that can assist with AI regulation. Please email suggestions and their contact information to me at: email@example.com.
A Big Thanks and Time to Share This Info
Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to participate in this vitally important call to action. By lending your voice to this cause, you are playing a pivotal role in shaping a safe, beneficial future with AIs. It’s the collective power of voices like yours that make real change possible. I know I speak for many when I say that we’re deeply appreciative of your efforts.
Remember, every small action counts. Encourage others to join our cause by sharing this original Psychology Today blog and the direct link to The Letter on my website in which we encourage the powers that be to regulate AIs. The power to influence the future of AI is in our hands, but it takes all of us, speaking out together, to make a difference.
Thank you for standing with us and for humanity’s future. Together, we can ensure the responsible development and use of AI for the good of all. Let’s continue to be that “squeaky wheel” until the right regulations are firmly in place.
With gratitude and hope,
Dr. Mike Brooks